The tournament’s Sustainability Plan enhances its relevant position within the ATP circuit
The Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell 2020 will strengthen its position as tournament model in the ATP circuit from the point of view of sustainability and has decided to increase specific actions that highlight the message of the use of good environmental practices during the tournament. In 2018, the organization received the ISO 20121 certificate for the management of sustainable events and last year was recognized by Barcelona Biosphere with the distinction of the commitment to the city’s tourism sustainability.
In 2020 the tournament will once again be declared a smoking-free event, which places the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell as the first clean-air ATP circuit that launches such an outstanding initiative. And it will also become an example to follow for the other tournaments for the decision to recycle all unused or in bad condition accreditations that have not been distributed. It is unknown that any other tennis tournament has taken such an action before.
The different actions that make up the 2020 Sustainability Plan are the following:
- Sustainable squad: group of people at risk of social exclusion of l´Espai d´Inclusió de Les Corts responsible for raising awareness among fans. They carry out activities in the children’s stand of the Fan Boulevard.
- Compostable cup: for the third consecutive year this cup made of corn will be deposited into the organic container, which means eliminating 50,000 plastic cups
- First-time use of electric and hybrid Peugeot vehicles for the transfer of players and to meet the needs of the organization
- LED lighting on all courts: halogen lights on all courts are replaced by LED lighting solutions
- Waste management: creation of a waste logistics centre for daily control of the amount of waste generated, which is measured using scales distributed at different points of removal of the facility
- Use of glass containers with self-dump that allow emptying a 120-liter container in seconds, facilitating the work of the cleaning staff, without the need to empty bottle by bottle
- Daytime cleaning to increase the saving of light consumption and achieve greater use of sunlight
- Daily control of water, electricity and natural gas consumption
- Promotion of the use of public transport and green transport through the action “Come by bicycle or scooter”. Fans can use a guarded parking lot for free and get a bottle of water and a piece of fruit to enhance a healthy lifestyle
- Promotion of a sustainable diet recommending proximity products, seasonal, fair trade, organic farming and offering menus for celiacs and vegetarians
- Promotion of the use of electronic ticket through mobile phones to reduce the generation of paper by the spectactor
- Collection of solidarity caps for the Sant Aniol brand, water supplier in the tournament
The Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell, which is attached to the Barcelona + Sostenible network and maintains a close relationship with the Barcelona City Council in this area, will also carry out an action for the third consecutive year with the Banc de Sang i Teixits so that fans who wish to can donate blood. It will take place on April 19, the Sunday of the qualifying draw.