The tournament’s Sustainability Plan enhances its position within the ATP circuit
The Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell 2021 will strengthen its position as a reference tournament in the ATP circuit from the point of view of sustainability and has decided to increase specific actions that highlight the message of the use of good environmental practices during the tournament. In 2018, the organization received the ISO 20121 certificate for the management of sustainable events and in 2019 it was recognized by the Barcelona Biosphere with the distinction of commitment to the city’s tourism sustainability.
In 2021, the tournament will once again be declared a smoke-free event, which places the Barcelona Open Banco Sabadell as the first open-air event on the ATP circuit to launch such an outstanding initiative. And it will also become an example to follow for other tournaments by the decision to recycle all unused or in bad condition badges that have not been distributed. No other tennis tournament is known to have taken similar action before.
The different actions that make up the 2021 Sustainability Plan are the following:
- Renewal of ISO 20121 certificates for sustainable event management and Barcelona Biosphere with the distinction of commitment to the city’s tourism sustainability.
- In 2021 the tournament will once again be declared a smoke-free event, which places the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell as the first open-air event on the ATP circuit.
- Recycle all unused badges or in bad condition that have not been distributed. No other tennis tournament is known to have taken such action before.
- Compostable cups: for the third consecutive year, this corn cup will be used, which is thrown into the organic container, which means eliminating plastic cups.
- 22 plug-in hybrid vehicles, such as the CUPRA Formentor e-Hybrid, the CUPRA León and the CUPRA León Sportourer e-Hybrid, for the transfer of players and to meet the needs of the organization. These vehicles have the zero label, implying the commitment to electromobility and sustainability.
- LED lighting on all courts: halogen spotlights on all courts are replaced by LED lighting solutions.
- Waste management: creation of a waste logistics centre for daily control of the amount of waste generated, which is measured by scales distributed at different extraction points in the premises.
- Carrying out daytime cleaning to increase light consumption savings and make better use of sunlight.
- Daily control of water, electricity and natural gas consumption to measure carbon footprint.
- Promotion of the use of public transport and green transport through the action “Come with a bicycle or scooter”. Fans will be able to use a guarded parking lot for free and will also get a bottle of water and a piece of fruit to enhance a healthy lifestyle.
- Promotion of a sustainable diet by recommending local, seasonal, fair trade, organic farming products and offering gluten-free and vegetarian menus.
- Promotion of the use of electronic ticket through mobile phones to reduce the generation of paper by the viewer.
- Collecting solidarity caps, water supplier in the tournament.
- Tournament adapted for people with reduced mobility and with exclusive stands for them.