TOURNAMENT

HISTORY

The Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell, Trofeo Conde de Godó, is the oldest tennis tournament in Spain and one of the of the most prestigious clay court tournaments on the circuit. The ATP World Tour 500 Event will celebrate its 61st edition in 2013. The first Conde de Godó took place in 1953.

HISTORY

On the occasion of enhancing the new headquarters of the Real Club de Tenis Barcelona-1899 in Pedralbes, the Board of Directors of the entity, chaired by Carlos Godó Valls, Count of Godó, decided, in 1952, to establish the celebration of a tournament that included the historical international vocation of the dean entity of Spanish tennis.

A year later, in June 1953, the Conde de Godó Trophy, the new competition, heir to the Barcelona International Championships born in 1903, the interclub competitions with leading entities of world tennis, and the Spring and Autumn International Competitions, became a reality. To immortalize the image of its winner, the event also had an iconic trophy, donated by the Count of Godó.

More than six decades later, the tournament is an emblem for the city of Barcelona, ​​not only because it is the most important sporting event held annually in Barcelona, ​​but also one of its social events with the greatest importance.

On the other hand, maintaining and preserving that spirit of a club tournament, in which the entire social mass collaborates, makes it, as its participants have repeatedly stated, one of the tournaments most esteemed by the players on the circuit.

Grand Slam champions, the great figures of Spanish tennis, a cast of world number ones, have forged the history of this competition, in a proud entity in which illustrious names such as Arantxa Sánchez Vicario, Conchita Martínez, Rafael appear among its members. Nadal, Carlos Moyà, Albert Costa, Andrés Gimeno, Carlos Costa, Emilio Sánchez Vicario, Tommy Robredo, Félix Mantilla José Higueras, José Luis Arilla, Rosa Torras, Lourdes Domínguez, Alberto Berasategui, Julián Alonso, Carmen Perea, Tomás Carbonell, Francis Roig or Galo Blanco.

THE TROPHY

The Conde de Godó Trophy was designed in 1953 by jewelers Soler Cabot. Made of sterling silver with an approximate weight of 13 kilos, its base is American oak.

The work reproduces a miniature tennis player located on the upper lid, while an ornamental carving covers the entire glass. The time of completion of the trophy is set at about 800 hours, and its price is valued at about 36 thousand euros.

THE TROPHY

The Conde de Godó Trophy was designed in 1953 by jewelers Soler Cabot. Made of sterling silver with an approximate weight of 13 kilos, its base is American oak.

The work reproduces a miniature tennis player located on the upper lid, while an ornamental carving covers the entire glass. The time of completion of the trophy is set at about 800 hours, and its price is valued at about 36 thousand euros.

CENTENARY CLUB

The first International Exhibition in Barcelona, held in 1898, had much to do with the birth of the Real Club de Tenis Barcelona. The industrial and commercial boom generated by the event attracted many foreign families who moved to the city. The result was the rising number of sports fans who yet enjoyed enormous prestige in their countries of origin.

Only one year later, in 1899, coinciding with the foundation of FC Barcelona by Swiss Hans Gamper, many English families – the Witty, Parsons, Leask, Park, Shields or Bartows – established the Lawn Tennis Club Barcelona, as it was formerly named, under the chairmanship of Great Britain’s Consul in April, laying the foundations for one of the most prestigious tennis tournaments in the world, the Trofeo Conde de Godó, now Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell.

The rising number of members over the years forced the club to move the headquarters from Calle Ganduxer to its current location in Pedralbes.

The tournament Trofeo Conde de Godó was inaugurated in the 50’s, in the 60’s the center court turned out to be the talisman for the Spanish Davis Cup Team and later the club established the first tennis school on Spanish soil. In 1999 the Real Club Tenis Barcelona celebrated 100 years and was recognized by His Majesty the King Juan Carlos I.

The 21st Century brings new improvements for the members with the inauguration of a huge Sports Center (2009), a private parking (2010), a new underground area in the Casa Club (2014), an indoor sports center (2015) and a paddle area in response to the high demand (2016).

MAIN SPONSORS

SPONSORS

COLLABORATORS

MEDIA PARTNERS