In 1899, the same year that a Swiss named Hans Gamper founded FC Barcelona, several English families, the Witty, Parsons, Leask, Park, Shields or Bartows, founded in April, under the presidency of the British consul, the Barcelona Lawn Tennis Club. The first venue was located on a plot on Calle Clarís, next to Paseo de Gracia, and had only two courts.
- 1888: The First International Exhibition of Barcelona, had a lot to do with the birth of our club.
- 1899, Several English families, the Witty, Parsons, Leask, Park, Shields or Bartows, founded the Barcelona Lawn Tennis Club in April, under the presidency of the British consul.
- 1903 The Barcelona LTC organizes, together with other sports organizations born in the city at the beginning of the century, the I International Lawn Tennis Competition.
- In 1905 the club’s headquarters moved to the Carrer Alfons XII, on the corner of Laforja, and moved from the two original courts on Carrer Clarís to three.
- In 1909, the club merged with the Catalunya Lawn Tennis Club, with the aim of welcoming the growing interest of Barcelonians in tennis.
- In 1912 the club reached the number of 200 members and was forced to move to the Ganduxer Street, acquiring land of the Bertrand family where up to seven courts where set up, without a doubt a step forward.
- On May 6, 1923 the club successfully organized the first Indoor World Championships, which took place at the Palau de la Indústria de la Ciutadella.
- In 1953, Carlos Godó, president in those years of the Club, announced the celebaration of the first Conde de Godó Trophy in the new facilities of Pedralbes, which, however, will not be conditioned for the social transfer of the Club until the following year.
- 1954, the transfer to Pedralbes closes with a big expense: the number of members goes from 753 to 342.
- In 1999, the RCTB-1899 successfully celebrated its Centenary and received recognition from personalities such as His Majesty King Juan Carlos I or the President of the Generalitat, Mr. Jordi Pujol.
- In 2007, the Club premiered its courts 6 and 7, the result of the collapse of the stands of the legendary talisman court.
- 2009 ,opened the “Sports Center”, a building with beautiful views around the club that also houses the offices and the physiotherapy room.
- In 2014 the new basement of the Club House was opened. Thus, new basic rooms were created for the good internal functioning of the entity.
- In 2015, the members enjoyed the official opening of the new indoor sports center.
- In 2016, the entity inaugurated the new paddle tennis area, responding, in this way, to the demand of a large number of members who wanted to practice this sport.
- 2017, the Club, with its desire to improve and grow, carried out a series of reforms in the Wellness Center in order to expand the space of activities, the offices, the centre of attention to the member and the offices and meeting rooms of the main areas of the Club.
BARCELONA TENNIS FOUNDATION
The Barcelona Tennis Foundation wants to be a benchmark in social inclusion through the practice of tennis and paddle in the city of Barcelona. We want tennis to serve more and more people every day as a mèdium for learning, for the culture of effort, discipline and camaraderie. Also, as a way to live a healthy life, and to learn to relate to others and the environment in a respectful way.
It was born with the MISSION of promoting the well-being and improving the physical and emotional health of people from vulnerable groups through tennis and paddle tennis.
Top-notch facilities for a historic club
The RCTB-1899 has a total of 20 tennis courts (18 clay courts, a fast track and an one indoor court); five paddle tennis courts (two of them semi-covered and three outdoor); a Wellness Centre, equipped with advanced infrastructures and services, geared towards fitness and health, and a covered sports centre.
The Club also has restaurants, study rooms, changing rooms (male, female and youth) and a parking area.